My Shopping List
Pork, Sweet Potato And Black Bean Stew with Fresh Greens
Courtesy of National Pork Board
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 7 Hr.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 3 lb. boneless pork shoulder, fat trimmed, cut into 3-in. pieces
+ 3 c. sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-in. pieces
+ 1 1/2 c. onions, chopped
+ 2 14 1/2-oz. cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes with green Chiles, undrained
+ 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
+ 2 Tbsp. chile powder
+ 2 1/4 tsp. cumin
+ 1/4 c. creamy peanut butter
+ 3 c. Swiss chard, coarsely chopped and packed (from 1 small bunch)
What to do:
1. Season pork with salt and pepper.
2. Place pork, sweet potatoes, onions, tomatoes, black beans, chile powder, and cumin in electric slow cooker. Cover with lid, and cook on low-heat setting for 7-1/2 hr.
3. Remove pork from slow cooker, and coarsely chop.
4. Add peanut butter to liquid in slow cooker, stirring to combine well. Stir in pork and season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Add the Swiss chard to slow cooker. Cook 5-6 min. longer until chard is tender but still bright green.
* Note: I am from California but married and Southerner (and now live in the South). Pork, beans, greens, and sweet potatoes are a way of life in the South. The peanut butter addition is a stew secret courtesy of my husband's grandmother (Granny). Adds the perfect "something something" to the stew.
* 2011 Pork Crock-Star winner for Chili Soup and Stew Dish by Camilla Saulsbury.
* Recipe and photo courtesy of National Pork Board. For more recipes visit: